- A Photo Tribute To Slayer’s Jeff Hanneman
- Scott Weiland Says Chester Bennington-Fronted Band Is ‘Not Stone Temple Pilots’
- Scott Weiland Sued By Stone Temple Pilots
- Butcher Babies Announce Release Of Debut Album
- David Draiman Says Disturbed Will Return
- Dave Mustaine: Universal Spent More On Photo Shoot Than Roadrunner Did On Any Video
- Alex Skolnick: Jeff Hanneman’s Passing Is ‘A Tragic Reminder’
- Geddy Lee Says Rock Hall Induction ‘Was Quite An Emotional Evening’
- Jerry Cantrell Discusses Making Of ‘The Devil Put Dinosaurs Here’
- VH1 Classic’s ‘That Metal Show’ Returns For 12th Season
Steven Tyler’s ‘American Idol’ Turn Boosts Aerosmith Sales
It was reported two weeks ago the first evidence that ‘American Idol’ was sending Aerosmith sales through the roof.
On January 28, Aerosmith’s 1998 power ballad, “I Don’t Want to Miss a Thing” had gone from nowhere to #22 on Apple’s iTunes chart, and not one but two versions of Aerosmith’s 1973 hit “Dream On” were charting, at #77 and #115, respectively.
“Just like we’ve seen in the past, when people appear on ‘Idol,’ it gives their sales a bit of a jump,” Richard Rushfield, author of “American Idol: The Untold Story” said at the time.
Now the official numbers are in.
Sales of Aerosmith’s compilation “Big Hits” have gone up by 260 percent, according to Nielsen SoundScan. Two other collections have seen sales boosts of more than 130 percent.
Speaking to the Boston Globe last week, Aerosmith guitarist Brad Whitford predicted that Tyler joining the judges’ panel alongside Jennifer Lopez and Randy Jackson would be good for the band.
“It’s going to expand our audience, for sure,” he said. “People who would never think about seeing Aerosmith might change their minds after seeing him on TV.”
Before Tyler made his “Idol” debut, musician Kid Rock said at a November 2010 press conference that joining the show was “the stupidest thing [Tyler has] ever done in his life.”
Aerosmith guitarist Joe Perry was similarly dismissive. Wonder if he’ll give Tyler his share of the “American Idol” Aerosmith proceeds?
Got a news tip or correction? Send it to us by clicking here.